I've love your support on Thunderclap!

Anything related to BackerClub.
TravisSteffen

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey all,

Backerclub member here asking for your support.

I've got a Kickstarter launching April 2nd for my new show, Pushing The Limit. With the help of our awesome brand partners and a big press push over the next 2 months, we're hoping to hit our $50k fundraising goal on the first day. The goal here is to use the campaign as a show of public demand that we can then use to leverage major network distribution.

Obviously there will be exclusive Backerclub perks, however, part of the push leading up to the campaign is our Thunderclap campaign - I'd love your support!

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/213 ... ?locale=en

It's critical we hit our goal on day 1 as we'll have press ready to report on that fact alone, which we're then instantly sending to various network execs.

Here's the link again!

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/213 ... ?locale=en

Thanks in advance :D
TravisSteffen

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:02 am

Hmm...6 views on this thread, but no supporters? Come on guys! I thought this community was supposed to be about Kickstarter power backers supporting each other - I've supported a few of you guys in my short time here, and I'd love your support :)
TashaTurner

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:27 am

It's been one day since you posted this request. All we know about your project is based on the description on the Thunderclap. You might have wanted to give more time before chastising us and playing guilt card (or even better skipped it altogether). That's less likely to encourage people to help out. Instead I'd recommend telling us more about your project and why we will want to back it and see it succeed. That will encourage members to want to participate in your Thunderclap.

Not sure if you've noticed but the majority of activity on the forum is backers into games.

I back mostly feminist and diversity projects with a few technology and inspirational/change my habits, as well as projects as gifts for my young nieces and nephews or other family members (stem or outdoor oriented). I rarely back or promote projects that are at odds with my philosophy for life: let's break down gender, race, and other cultural barriers and find ways to work together cooperatively as well as recycle and sustainable/ecological. I think I've viewed this page 2-3 times now as I'd forgotten what it was for & then I saw there was a reply - I try to keep up with all threads. Sorry for letting you down by being curious but not interested in your project which doesn't fit with my interest.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
TravisSteffen

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:40 am

I do understand what you're saying - and any guilt thrown from me was stemmed by a bit of frustration. Not necessarily from lack of backing, but in lack of responses in general. This actually wasn't my first request for feedback or support - it was my third.

The main reason I joined this group - and (candidly) backed a few additional campaigns to get access - was for feedback. Feedback from people who know things about crowdfunding, and who are actively looking to help other members craft better campaigns.

It's being marketed as "the premiere pre-launch stop for serious campaigns" and I've made it a point to be active a few times per week and back a few of the backerclub-endorsed campaigns, but haven't really seen much in terms of value, and I haven't really gotten any materials on how to get the most out of the group - as I've got to assume this is MY error for not doing something correctly, posting in the right area, or waiting long enough.

SO - Backerclub organizers, if you want MY feedback, it would be lovely to add some sort of an onboarding process into the community, and maybe have some sort of a concierge role to connect members with others with similar interests, or who can provide feedback. I think that may allow all of us to get a bit more out of membership.

Just my $0.02.
TashaTurner

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Setting up your project while its in pre-launch so we can comment on the preview page. I'm really not sure how many of us give active feedback. Both Lobster and I have posted basic advice for creators. While Lobsters 200 page PDF is games based there is a ton of useful information in it that crosses categories. In the Kickstarter area I've also posted general information for creators on one or two threads marked for creators.

This club is only a few months old. We are still working kinks out. Most feedback is given on projects which show up in the project area and even there I'm not sure how much is given on most projects.

I give most of my feedback privately as it's usually post-campaign starting and I do it over on Kickstarter.

We are a backers club. Most of us have backed quite a few campaigns and we know what we like and have thoughts on why campaigns have failed. A few of the more active members have done phenomenal stats on projects but they are mostly gamers - again Lobster has shared in threads as well as the PDF. Another member is working on a way to take the material he has and put it in order and share it.

We do back a lot of projects. We do share through social media and in-person projects we've backed.

By telling us about your project pre-launch (project section) and in the correct project category in the Kickstarter forum you raise awareness of your project, may get feedback, likely get backers on your launch day, and get shares on launch day and after. If your project is a match with the kinds of things the group members are into this should help you get in the spotlight on Kickstarter in the early days which can be critical to having a successful campaign.

I don't think you've done anything wrong. I think your expectations and how the group is set up may have had a disconnect. I make up 20% of the participation in the forums out of 1200+ members. Most of the members are lurking. They are taking advantage of projects (in the project section) and I do believe they've backed projects which have been talked about in the forum.

I agree that it would be nice if the group founder(s) were more active and provided more guidelines and information about the group - mission, package for creators on how to run a successful project & how to take advantage of the group, suggestions for backers on how to help projects out, etc.

Don't know if this response helps any. I'm sorry this has been so frustrating for you.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
Rhonda T

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:51 pm

TravisSteffen wrote: SO - Backerclub organizers, if you want MY feedback, it would be lovely to add some sort of an onboarding process into the community, and maybe have some sort of a concierge role to connect members with others with similar interests, or who can provide feedback. I think that may allow all of us to get a bit more out of membership.

Just my $0.02.
Hi Travis.
I am also new to this group. A creator I am backing referred to this group in his comments and included a logo for it on his campaign, so I came over to check it out and joined to see what it is all about. I completely agree that there should be a lot more information for creators and members on how to get the most out of the site and constructive ways to participate and interact with those with similar interests. I have the feeling that many members have seen limited activity and have not returned or just peruse the projects for club discounts, which of course leads to more limited activity. I have only posted feedback to one project, because I have seen so few comments from others. I do use the project list here as well as searching KS to find projects of interest to me.

I was hoping for a lively community that gives constructive feedback to creators and has discussions about active campaigns. While I have backed 50+ projects and have learned lessons that lead me to back or not back projects based on my own list of factors, I think I too could learn a lot from the more experienced members. As Tasha stated, she and a few others seem to be the main, only??, active participants. And they tend to like games. I usually back design and some tech projects, that are innovative, spark my interest, provide a solution that will help me, and will hopefully also support someone's dream.

While I have had mixed results with campaigns that I have backed, across the board, I have had bad experiences with film and music campaigns, so I view them critically and tend not to back them. I also tend not to post about campaigns on social media, especially when they aren't in my area of interest. I am not your primary audience for this type of show, but if you give proper notice, I will be a first day backer with at least a nominal pledge to help you get the word out. I am also happy to provide comments about your description, video, reward tiers, Etc...

Good luck
Rhonda
numbat1

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 pm

I agree that some clearer information for creators and possibly members would be really useful. Knowing how to utilise the system and what are reasonable expectations would be great.

I have not participated in any Thunderclap requests yet and they are outside my current comfort level. I have already saturated my FB list with KS projects and had to back off posting for fear of losing friends to perceived spamming. Unfortunately yours is not a project that is high in my priority list or one I'd likely back for my own interests. I may make a pledge just to support but would not be looking for the show itself.

I admit to delaying my reply in this thread as when I first read it the other day I was somewhat miffed at being called out for not supporting something less than 12 hours from the original post. If those first six viewers were not willing to participate in your Thunderclap then that is unfortunate but not something they (or other new readers) should be chastised about.

I am saddened that we are not meeting your expectations as a club. As Tasha discussed, this is a new group and still growing and teething. Hopefully it will develop into a much more effective forum for creators as well as backers once it is through the teething stages. Providing polite and constructive feedback will help us to do so.
mdtommyd

Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:02 pm

I agree with others - I'm very new to BC and some more how-tos would be useful. That said, it is what it is. People have other things going on and they're doing what they can.

If you're frustrated with lack of responses - make it easier for people to give them. Had to go to Thunderclap to get any info at all. Tasha's right, the KS preview page would be helpful. You're asking for Thunderclap support for a KS project nobody can see yet.

I also sense you would have been happier if the (early) viewers told you something one way or another. A quick SurveyMonkey might have been in order for that - might still be.

As far as the project itself, not really my cup of tea. Accomplished athletes operating out of their comfort zone has been done to death before. The only real hook I see, the viewer engagement aspect, doesn't seem enough to me to make this worthwhile. Maybe things will change when the KS page becomes available. Will look over a project preview and probably support for a minimum amount when you go live.

As far as the Thunderclap, I'm out. To me, a groundswell should be organic, not engineered. Then again, the ability to use tools is what distinguishes man from the beasts. Won't begrudge you your right to try, but won't lend my resources to the effort.

As a backer club, you should be able to get all the end user feedback on crowdfunding you can handle from here. Not sure how much help you'll be getting on crowdfunding from the other end of the spectrum, outside of info in Lobster's PDF. Would suggest a Creator's discussion thread here to assist you in that. You might also want to look for an actual creator's club (if there is such a beast).

Good luck. Sorry I won't necessarily be a 'staunch' supporter, but interested to see how you make out.
--- Tom