Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:34 am

Greetings.

Currently the BackerClub forum sections that I see are:
  • Introductions
    Kickstarter Discussion
    BackerClub Discussion
    Private Lounges
    Off Topic

I was thinking about the possibility of subforums added within the Kickstarter Discussion area that could be added based on Kickstarter's own project categories. phpBB does support subforums. Below is a list of Kickstarter's main categories.
  • Art
    Comics
    Crafts
    Dance
    Design
    Fashion
    Film & Video
    Food
    Games
    Journalism
    Music
    Photography
    Publishing
    Technology
    Theater

That may be more convenient for BackerClub users than having to add tags such as "[Music]" or "[Games]" to their thread titles for others to know what category a project is related to. It also means not having to scroll past projects for categories I don't participate in like Dance to find new projects in categories I do pledge in.

What are others' opinions?
Should some categories like Games be split into subcategories like Tabletop and Video Games?
Any alternate category lists?
Would it be good to have something like an Ending Soon category for projects that are really close to reaching 100% in their final hours on Kickstarter and need all the help they can get?
Longeye

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:15 pm

I'm a big fan of subdivision, but I'd say only to the "arts, comics" level. As of yet there's no need to divide into types of arts/comic... YET. Maybe when we pick up a bit and there are enough projects it'll be useful, but it might make things look a bit sparse too early.
~Longeye~
TashaTurner

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I like the idea of having subforums based on Kickstarter categories. Having run forums in the past I've found if you build the basic structure in early it makes it easier on everyone than people needing to readjust later. I agree that keeping it to the Main categories at this point is probably good enough. If/when those categories get overrun breaking them into smaller categories can be done without too much readjustment.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
markalanbaker

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:07 am

Great suggestion! Done.
Mark