The Black Dawg - illustrated poem about depression and hope

Anything related to Kickstarter
Kathryn Black Dawg

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:07 am

My collaborator Louis (the writer) and I have drawn (me literally, I'm the illustrator!) on our personal experiences of depression to produce a beautiful picture book, in the style of a children's picture book, but for adults.

We believe it to be the first of its kind with the themes of depression and hope.

We hope that this book can help reduce the stigma around mental health issues, reduce isolation by letting fellow sufferers know they are not alone and give an insight to the friends and family of sufferers into what it feels like to be depressed.

We are raising funds on Kickstarter to cover the costs of design, publishing and marketing The Black Dawg so that we can reach as wide an audience as possible. We plan to donate a significant number of the books to mental health charities and service providers, prisons, schools and libraries.

Mental health issues are on the rise and public funding is being slashed, we believe that those factors make this a very important project.

We had to remove a couple of swear words from the original stream of consciousness poem to make it palatable for a wider audience and I did have some reservations about going so public with something so personal but the reception has been amazingly warm, touching and humbling. Making this book has changed my life.

Thank you for reading, we have less than 2 weeks left to reach our target! If any BackerClub members are willing to pledge 65 euros or more I will include a postcard sized original watercolour sketch with the other rewards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... rated-poem
The-Black-Dawg-New-Front-Cover-kathryn-hockey-artist-illustrator-web.jpg
The-Black-Dawg-New-Front-Cover-kathryn-hockey-artist-illustrator-web.jpg (169.54 KiB) Viewed 3642 times