Hi from Brussels, Belgium

Welcome to the Club. Say "Hi!"
LouPhi

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:59 am

My name is Louis-Philippe Loncke, just call me LouPhi here (shorter).
Belgian, 38y in 2015.
I backed my first project on IndieGogo (IGG) :idea: . It was a friend's project. At that time I was in Santiago, Chile ending an 8,5 months travel & expeditions(*) journey.
I stayed in the hostel for 2 weeks and started browsing the news before going back to Belgium and I went to check out KickStarter (KS) as well. In less than 2 weeks, I had backed 5 projects I think. I was hooked.

* I have a passion for exploration and I'm trying to make a living out of it since I left my employee job in July 2014.
Currently, I'm completely un-successful.
All about me and my expeditions can be found on my websites. Wikipedia is a good shortcut.

In November 2014, I started browsing KS, IGG, Ulule and KissKissBankBank for all campaigns related to travel and expeditions.
Why?
Well I signed up for an expedition to the most remote/interesting Antarctic island (Heard Island) that was scheduled in Nov-Dec 2015.
[*]I started backing all projects that produced stuff I would need during this expedition -mainly tech- and were new so interesting (drones, 360 cameras...)
[*]As geek, I backed also products I wanted to have.
[*]I'm happy to back projects for environmental causes and related to other expeditions as well.
[*]I prepared full time from Nov 2014 to end May 2015 my own campaign to be started on 1 June. Mainly I was looking for "promotion" partners = ways to spread out the word about my campaign to as many people as possible. 1) for funding part of the expedition 2) especially for getting people interested, "followers" in fact.
[*]End May, the team leader announced the boat we chartered could not insure sufficient safety so he cancelled the boat contract, found another smaller boat for March-April 2016. We pass from 35 participants in the expedition to a boat that has a capacity of 14 people. So, normally I can't join the expedition anymore :| and worked 6 months for nothing :o
[*]There are several projects I didn't support because the pre-order of a product with a small price like 20 USD + shipping (10-15USD) + taxes + custom fees will make the product cost double or more :shock: SO I started thinking on how to potentially avoid this "mental-pain".
I have created a survey + ideas. I'll put it in the OFF TOPIC section
Best Regards Louis-Philippe (LouPhi) https://about.me/louphi, #BeCrowdF, https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/louphi